Why, you ask?
If there's one thing about this trip that continues to unfailingly astound me, it's the eerie fact that everything seems to be a coincidence!
Here are a couple of my favorites:
First Incidence: my experience with the macaroon-loving guy in Santa Barbara
Coincidence: chocolate chip macaroons on display in Ashland!!
First Incidence: My decision to go into social work, which was the foundation for me taking this road trip
Coincidence: Meeting, and establishing a contact with, a social worker while in Ashland!!
Not to mention the fact that Ashland, which thus far is still my favorite location and felt the most like a home-away-from-home for me, was overrun with lawyers! My parents are lawyers! I guess that's just more coincidental proof that, as Bon Jovi said in his song: "you take the home from the [girl], but not the [girl] from [her] home."
First Incidence: My recent interest in expanding my social work qualifications to include certification for music therapy and/or animal therapy
Coincidence:Meeting a veterinarian (while in Portland) who just so happens to be in contact with a guy who is part of an animal-therapy study and was willing to give me his info!
Did you know that petting a cat (or a dog) lowers not only
your blood pressure, but the bp of the animal, as well???
your blood pressure, but the bp of the animal, as well???
First Incidence: My GPS's name is Michelle. She is my guide and always finds a way to get me from Point A to Point B (even on the frustrating streets of Portland, OR!)
Coincidence: My Bikaraoke instructor's name was Michelle (in Antioch). Incidentally, she was in desperate need of help navigating the frustrations of her own life, guidance in which my Michelle would not have been much use.
First Incidence: I spent three nights in Seattle and got two full days of sightseeing adventures out of my trip! Then I headed down to Astoria, OR.
Coincidence: On my last day in Astoria, I met two people who were on their way up to Seattle and were looking for things to do to fill up a three-day stay! Who better to run into than a girl who has been pretty much everywhere there is to go in Seattle and can offer tons of suggestions!
But perhaps the biggest coincidence incidence is this one:
First Incidence: on my way up the coast, I stayed almost entirely with friends and family. The times I stayed in B&Bs I had very little interaction with the innkeepers beyond their duties of running a business.
Coincidence: coming back south, I've stayed entirely in B&B's. However, every single B&B (Astoria, Portland, Eugene so far) has been run in a more "family style" manner than I'm used to...at each inn, the innkeeper(s) have joined the table at breakfast instead of remaining in the kitchen or somewhere else "behind the scenes." So, incidentally, it feels more like I'm a true house-guest, as opposed to just being a random renter of an independent room. I haven't really lost the family-and-friends feel at all!
There have been many other, smaller coincidences (aka "conveniences") sprinkled throughout my entire trip...and each one re-convinces me that I'm where I'm supposed to be, when I'm supposed to be there. This road trip has turned out to be an even bigger blessing than I realized it could ever be.
Tomorrow I take off for Crescent City, CA...my last overnight city flying solo. After Crescent City, Roxy's passenger occupancy will double (Roxy is my car, if you didn't know that!). I've mentioned before who it is that will be tagging along for my last few stops...but if you don't remember, you'll just have to wait and be surprised!!
Thus far, Michelle has been my only "companion" on my trip!
Sorry about the lack of original pictures in this post, I know the pics are the best part! My Eugene, OR update will be coming later today and will include new pics...stay tuned!


No comments:
Post a Comment