Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Seattle Daze

Today I took myself on the Ultimate Tourism Adventure in Seattle, hitting up all the must-see spots across the city. Becky says my adventure took me through the entire city of Seattle, from top to bottom!

My Seattle Adventure was split up into two parts.

Part One: my morning meanderings.
The morning started with a breakfast date with the lovely Courtney at a restaurant called Howell's. Courtney and I indulged in high-carb breakfasts (pancakes for her, French toast for me!) that were absolutely delicious! We ate and chatted away, catching up and sharing stories. Courtney and Becky are both social workers, so I got lots of advice about applying for schools and what to look for in a MSW program! I had so much fun hanging out with that girl, even though it was for such a short time!



Howell's is located in the Pike Place market, which worked out perfectly because the market was on my list of Places To Go! It's mostly an outdoor market, though there are restaurants and little shops.
It's noisy, crowded, and colorful, packed with vendors selling trinkets, fruit, and flowers.







Sometimes the sights and smells aren't so appealing...



Pike Place Market is an exciting, active venue, and I wandered around for a couple hours looking at everything.
I also hung around to watch some fish throwing at the world famous Pike Place Fish Market!!



I know, I know, fish throwing may not seem like anything special. Especially when it is accompanied by lots of yelling. But add in a handful of attractive male employees and some clever word play (and a really big fish or two!) and suddenly it's a full-on production!



Check out the spectacle for yourself:



When I had had enough frisbee fish fun, I went in search of my next tourist trap. I found it a few blocks over, in Post Alley.


It was something I had heard about many times, and even though I found the concept absolutely disgusting, I still wanted to see it for myself.

What exactly am I talking about?
Becky referred to it as "Hepatitis central."
It is more commonly referred to as...





The "Gum Wall."

I have no idea when (or how) the whole idea got started, but it's quite a sight to see now!
There were a few other people there with me, and they gave me a piece of gum so I could add my own personal touch to the wall. It was white Orbit gum, though we all agreed that the best gum to use is Juicy Fruit (because of the vivid rainbow colors!).

I wasn't so sure about participating in the "spit fest."



Eugh!!



Here I go!! I was trying to keep my fingers as far away from the wall as I could.





Once I had made my mark in history, I decided to head over to another historical landmark.
As you probably know, Seattle is home to the original Starbucks. How did I know how to tell the difference? Ben told me: the original logo is brown, not green.



I guess the company wasn't worried about keeping their paper cups authentic.



Once I had seen everything I wanted to see in Pike Place, I walked the few blocks to the Westlake Center.



The thing I immediately noticed when I got there was this fruit cart in the pavilion:



I love me some apples!!



While I ate my apple (and stashed a second in my purse!) I sat down on some large steps near this nifty fountain:



Which turned out to be even niftier than I realized! You could go inside the waterfall!



See???


I managed to get my pants really wet filming that video...good thing they were black!

Next I hopped onto the Seattle Monorail and rode over to the Seattle Center (I didn't have my car because Courtney picked me up from the Crowl's apartment for breakfast).

This was my view of the Space Needle from where I stood after getting off the Monorail:



I didn't actually go up the Space Needle, though. I've been up before...it's very high up!

I toured the sculpture gardens out front next:







Then I walked a little bit to find a cool fountain Becky had told me about...





What was so cool about the fountain?
Watch (and listen!) for yourself!




I call it the Magic Music fountain!
Oh, and even though I didn't get any pictures of them, I can't forget the group of special needs adults I met while hanging out by the fountain. They had come from Connecticut, and two old guys with Downs Syndrom asked to have their picture taken with me! I was flattered, to say the least! Then a slightly elderly woman came over and started talking to me. I learned quickly that she was deaf, but that didn't stop her from enthusiastically asking me if I had tickets to some ball game tonight (she never actually mentioned which one). She then professed her love for the Yankees and high-fived me, which made me laugh. The "counselor" guy thanked me for being a good sport about everything, but I'd been perfectly happy to liven up their days a little!


My last stop on the morning meanderings part of my Seattle Adventure was Pioneer Square. I got there from the Westlake Center by taking the brand new Sound Transit Light Rail!


Kind of reminds you of the decorations at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, doesn't it?

Both Becky and Courtney had mentioned places to check out while I was exploring Pioneer Square.

Becky told me about a cookie place called Cow Chip cookies. The cookies were so warm and gooey that they fell apart in my hands while I was trying to get a picture taken! That's why I'm only holding a small piece...I had to eat the parts that were breaking off!



Courtney had told me about a bookstore she thought I would like, The Elliot Bay Book Company



She was right, I loved it!! From the wooden staircases (it was 3 stories high!)



to the gorgeous brick walls.



It reminded me a lot of Bloomsbury Books, my favorite bookstore in Ashland, OR. The Elliot Bay Book Company also had a coffee shop, but I didn't have time to stop in because Becky came to pick me up for Part Two of my Seattle Adventure!

Our first stop was to pick Ben up from work. Once we managed to drag him away (he was very dedicated to the project he was working on!) we headed over to Jai Thai for dinner! Becky told me that she had been craving Thai food, too, so I'm doubly glad I suggested it (the food; they picked the place)!
Ben drove us over to Golden Gardens Park to eat, because the beach was right on the Puget Sound (which was also on my Places To Go list!).


Of course, I had my yellow chicken curry dish! Yummy!!


I caught Ben mid-bite! Oops!


Former RA and resident, 5 years later!!!

Once we were all done eating (I was told to save room for dessert later!), it was time for a Puget Sound photoshoot.









Next up: the troll under the bridge! Becky and Ben had been talking about the troll since I walked in the door on Monday. I had no idea what to expect, so I was completely blown away when I came face-to-face with this guy:


While I was attempting to slide off after this pic, I kind of avalanched downward, and I'm pretty sure all three of us thought I was a goner there for a minute! My big toes took the brunt of the landing, and were sore for a bit.





Eww, troll boogies!


Fi, Fie, Fo, Fum!!

Ben and Becky took me to the Kerry Park lookout point next...it was soooo beautiful!


What an amazing view!









After that Ben drove us around Queen Anne Island, and we scoped out all the beautiful houses!
There weren't that many actual Queen Anne Victorians, though.



The last stop of the night was dessert! We went to a place called Trophy cupcakes.



Let me tell you, this place knows their cupcakes! Along with the classic chocolate and vanilla, they had fancy flavors like coconut and red velvet!
I was boring, and stuck to good, old-fashined vanilla vanilla. Ben and Becky were a little more adventurous.





The cupcakes marked the perfect ending to the perfect Seattle Adventure!

I absolutely adore Becky and Ben, and appreciate their willingness to help me see as many sights as I could in such a short time. Not to mention, I'm grateful to them for letting me crash on their couch for three nights!

Tomorrow I hit the road again...this time it's even more bittersweet than normal, because I'm turning around and heading back south. I like to think of it as the "second leg" of my roadtrip!

Tune in tomorow to find out where I'm going next!
Hint: I won't be hitting any of the same cities twice, but I am driving back through OR and eventually CA.

1 comment:

  1. Meryl, this one is really funny - Ted and I enjoyed it at lot! from Aunt Janny

    ReplyDelete