My one-night stay in Crescent City, CA was booked more out of necessity than anything else. Without it, I would have been driving from Eugene, OR to Kenwood, CA, a nearly 9 hour drive. Of just driving, no fun stops along the way (why am I making that distinction? You'll find out later!) . Fun stops would have extended my road-time even more, potentially making such a journey a half-day event. No, thank you!
So anyway, I chose Crescent City over Eureka because of the popular opinion of Eureka being a somewhat...sketchy city.
So anyway, I chose Crescent City over Eureka because of the popular opinion of Eureka being a somewhat...sketchy city.
In Crescent City I found a cute little place called the Anna Wulf House. The price was good, so I went ahead and reserved a room.
Little did I know that I would end up having some of the best fun of all in good ol' Crescent City!!
First of all, the house was this hilariously bright pinkish-purple color, with purple trim. You don't forget a house like that!
My room was called the Mistress Suite. It had authentic, old-fashioned prostitution licenses on the walls (!!!), and other vamp-y decor that gave the room a "scandalous" feeling. I thought it was a riot!
Do you see the corset, gloves, and black feather boa?
And the fainting sofa?
Three guesses what happened next, and the first two don't count!...
And the fainting sofa?
Three guesses what happened next, and the first two don't count!...
The innkeeper's name was Paula, and she ultimately is what made Crescent City so memorable. Paula and I quickly discovered we were kindred spirits, from our mutual dislike of bananas/latex allergy all the way to shared beliefs about society and personal expectations. I had a wonderful time talking with her, and can easily say that the Anna Wulf House is the closest thing to a "family" atmosphere I have encountered thus far, with Paula feeling almost more like a true family member than just a hostess. It doesn't get much better than that, and I will absolutely be returning there someday. But not as a Victorian lampshade that was made in the basement of my Canadian breakfast companions! Hahaha!
(If you want that story, I'll be glad to share it! It had us cracking up even an hour later!)
So back to long drives with fun stops along the way (I mentioned it at the beginning of this post).
My next stop is Kenwood, CA (to meet up with my roadtrip companion!), but on the way I will be stopping in Fort Bragg. The famous Glass Beach is there, and as a lover of sea glass I figure it's something I've got to see!
(If you want that story, I'll be glad to share it! It had us cracking up even an hour later!)
So back to long drives with fun stops along the way (I mentioned it at the beginning of this post).
My next stop is Kenwood, CA (to meet up with my roadtrip companion!), but on the way I will be stopping in Fort Bragg. The famous Glass Beach is there, and as a lover of sea glass I figure it's something I've got to see!

No comments:
Post a Comment