Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Walls Have Ears...

It's a good thing that my stay here in the middle of nowhere is longer than my other residences (6 nights as opposed to the usual 3-nighters). In the absence of reliable internet, the extra days still allow me to maintain a decent event-to-blog entry ratio. After all, had this been a "typical" stay, I would have been back on the road by now...

And I haven't even shown you Charm's house yet! (Nor have I finished telling you all the fun adventures I've had).

I love Charm's house. I haven't been here in probably 10 years, but my feelings haven't changed. She lives in a huge yellow Victorian.



If you've ever met me (and, if you're reading this, then presumably you have!) you know that that is a really big deal. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that I talk about my desire to one day live in a Queen Anne Victorian all the time.

The main reason I love Victorian houses so much is because of the rich histories behind them. Allegorical echoes reverberate within the walls of each room. You know there have been other families there before you, living their lives and making their own memories. That my life, my memories, become entwined within the fabric of other legacies-legacies that are ensconced within a time long past-intrigues and enthralls me.

When I visit Charm's house I can let my fascination come to life.

I love gazing through the stained glass windows, the multi-colored panes vibrantly suffused with sunlight





Each of the rooms in the house are guarded by huge, heavy wooden doors, each adorned with the old-fashioned oversized keyholes that revv every child*'s imagination into overdrive.


*I use the term "child" loosely, as I myself am guilty of indulging in my own fantasies of extravagance and mystique held behind every door of such a magnificent house!


Soft light falls into every room via the glow of antique lamps, my love of which officially labels me as a future hoarder of such antiquated relics





The staircase invites further exploration...



...while at the same time heralds the whole house with your whereabouts!


squeeeak!


Charm's house originates from the early 1900's (at the latest!), and 100+ years later it still stands, timeless within its own enterprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment