One thing that appeals to me about small towns in the summer is the sense of community. I don't know if it's the fresh air, the fact that everyone seems to know each other, the relaxing atmosphere of simple pleasures, or a combination of all those...but I spent all of yesterday afternoon in a beautiful park right next to the Festival.
I had decided to eat lunch there, by the duck pond







but grew so captivated by the lush greenery that surrounded me that I couldn't resist wandering around.
Having grown up in the arid desert climate of The Valley of the Sun, I am familiar with cacti, dirt mounds and dry grass, and barren water beds. Stumbling across a park decorated with leafy green trees, an emerald carpet of grass, and a functional duck pond is like finding a diamond in the rough. Or I guess that would be an emerald in the rough.
There's just something so comforting, so calming, about being surrounded so completely by nature. It's an oasis, a peaceful refuge from the harshness of a world overrun by fast moving vehicles and hectic lifestyles. After I finished exploring I literally did nothing for hours except lean against this wall
and watch people with their families meander through the park, setting up picnics and playing rousing games of frisbee. I particularly enjoyed one family which included a woman who would do little splits-jumps in the air when the frisbee came towards her. Sometimes she would yell, too - I'll bet she was a cheerleader in high school!
There was one other thing about this beautiful little Oregon park that is different from any Valley of the Sun park...
There was one other thing about this beautiful little Oregon park that is different from any Valley of the Sun park...
Trees that show the passing of the seasons!
Last night I saw my second Shakespeare play, Henry VIII. There will be a post about my entire OSF experience tomorrow.
And I know yesterday I promised a look at the Iris Inn...stay tuned because that will be up later today!
Sorry I haven't commented in a while. I was up north at the cabin. You sure are having a wonderful adventure. It all looks so beautiful. Enjoy your visit with Charm and let us know how that goes. Have a great trip. Brian
ReplyDeleteall right, girlie, where are the pictures of the Iris Inn that i spent a whole evening with you, picking out of all the B&B's in Ashland? and are we getting any updates while you're at charm's, where i'm not sure there's any wi-fi service? missing you and the updates but so pleased you're out having fun and not sitting around on your laptop, writing to your old mother. your grandma looks very good, no need to worry about her, starting to think we'll all have to troop over there for thanksgiving after all! she's not quite up to david's wedding, however, which is only two weeks away at this point! looking forward to seeing YOU then! love you and have great farm and charm fun.
ReplyDelete