Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Eugene Smorgasbord

As has become sort of my blog-update custom, it's time for my bulk-of-info post!
It's like the Costco of blog-land!

Right now I'm in Eugene, OR.
I stayed at this lovely place, called the River Walk Inn:





One of my favorite things about this inn is the fact that they offered bikes for riding! I love riding my bike, but it's been too hot in Phoenix for it. The Inn is right alongside a miles-long bike path along the Willamette river. A perfect place for riding, and perfect weather to stay out all afternoon!



Which is exactly what I did!
I spent the afternoon riding high...
no, not that kind of high!
I mean that as I pedaled along I could see stars....or at least planets!

What exactly am I talking about??
I'm talking about the 1:1 billion scale model of the solar system spread out over 4 miles of Oregon parks!

It starts with the sun, at the entrance of Alton Baker park.




Youch, it's hot!

then continues for west on an easily-accessible rout!


Mercury


Venus


The Earth and moon!


Mars


Jupiter


Saturn


Uranus


Neptune

Unfortunately, Pluto was inaccessible because of construction...but I guess since it's not considered a planet anymore that's ok.
You may also have noticed that only a few markers have planets...vandals seem to relish defacing them.

It felt like a scavenger hunt, and I enjoyed spending the better part of an afternoon looking for each planet!

Also, there's something special about the shoes I'm wearing...



Why am I drawing attention to my old, dirty running shoes?



Because they're Nike.
And Eugene is the hometown of Nike running shoes! Eugene's nickname is "Tracktown USA."
Obviously, I made a point to visit the Nike store in Eugene, which also sports a museum/shrine to the history of the Nike shoe!

'

''
Leave Your Legacy... Just Do It!!




Look, running shoes!!

Speaking of leaving a legacy, remember when I said that part of why I love Victorian houses is because of the sense of history within the walls of the home?
Well, in Eugene there's a beautiful Victorian open for tours (just like the Flavel House in Astoria)! It has a very long name, because each family who lived there became a part of it's living history (aka legacy!).
The Shelton-McMurphy-Johnson house was absolutely beautiful! The tour guide was a little suspicious of my desire to take so many pictures, but she cooperated with me just the same!



The music room:
(this room was, naturally, my favorite room of the house!)






The "sitting room" (literally, it was a room with a couple couches, that's it!)




Old-fashioned viewfinder (remember the little plastic ones we had as kids??)


the most amazing invention ever: the mustache cup!


Old fashioned sewing machine, from Minnesota!
(what do you make of it, Tanya??)

The Kitchen and dining room





The mansion was fours stories high!




This display was on the landing of the second staircase, I believe.
I wanted to try on the outfit so bad!


The first floors upstairs were bedrooms and the main bathroom:











At this house I got to go up in the attic (I didn't at the Flavel House).


This little room is inside the turret! See the little square to the left? That hides a little latch to prevent Mr. Shelton from getting trapped inside (which happened once!)

My next location will be across the border once more (back into CA)... I'm closing in on my final destination, and it's making me sad.
Although, I'll be honest: I'm finally starting to wear out! I feel tired pretty much all day, but I'm still having so much fun that I just rally up and pull through!! Whee!
More tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment